Applied research, specialist consultancy and laboratory services
WSP Opus Research is a world leader in the field of road surface friction and has undertaken international work on skid resistance. We’ve also had international commissions to evaluate the latest generation high-speed data acquisition systems.
Our clients in New Zealand include the NZ Transport Agency, KiwiRail, port companies, local government, engineering consultants and contractors. We also work on long-term government research projects.
Our research team includes geographers, chemists, psychologists, environmental scientists, engineers, physicists and materials scientists. We have expertise in structure, concrete condition, materials behaviour, geotechnics, customer experience, transport safety, road and pavement, acoustics and vibration, wind tunnel, and electronic instrumentation.
Our leading-edge laboratories support our research and offer materials and environmental consultancy relating to soils, roading, aggregates, concrete, structures, wind, noise, vibrations and air quality.
Recent research projects
Here’s a selection of our recent work.
- Award-winning crash risk model, developed with a detailed understanding of the interaction between road geometry and road condition
- Assessing noise and vibration associated with bridge joins
- The impact of drainage maintenance on pavement performance
- Durable, high strength epoxy bitumen seals
- Community response to changes in noise from resurfaced roads
- Minimising traffic delays during resealing
- Developing contract specifications for SCRIM and High-Speed Data Collection (HSDC)
- Commuter concern for the environment and vehicle emissions effects
- Developing texture, skid resistance, rolling resistance and tyre wear models for HDM-4